One of my favorite things in our new home is the indoor laundry room. In my 40 years of marriage, I either went to the laundromat or the washer and dryer lived in the garage. Now my laundry area stays clean and I don’t battle the heat of summer or cold of winter. Van and I are retired, empty nesters now. We dirty far fewer clothes than we used to. However, keeping up with laundry still seems a never-ending task.
I enjoy the routine of doing laundry. Sorting the clothes into piles, moving the clean clothes from washer to dryer to laundry basket. The smell of clean clothes, fresh from the dryer often goes on my list of gifts for the day.
It’s easy for me to worry about my appearance. I like looking put together and fashionable. The OCD part of me needs everything to match. (A little secret? I miss the days of changing handbags to match shoes.)
But when I read Paul’s words in Colossians, I realize the attitude of my heart, not my apparel, needs my attention.
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and derly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. (Colossians 3:12)
Today, as I stand folding clean jeans, tee shirts, towels, and sheets, I reflect on this laundry list; the list of what I really want people to see:
- Compassion- a willingness to listen and bear the burdens of others.
- Kindness-taking time to say words that build up rather than tear down. Doing something that helps someone in need.
- Humility-looking to the needs of others before my own. Showing compassion and kindness, not for my own gain but simply to act as Jesus would.
- Gentleness-making sure my tone of voice and body language show caring, compassion, kindness, and humility.
- Patience-listening and helping even if it means doing it again and again. Even if I have something else to do.
I wrote this verse in my laundry room as a prayer to focus on as I do this chore. I want to treat Van, my neighbors, and my brothers and sisters in Christ dressed in the clothes that truly matter. When I do, people will see Christ. And that is the prayer of my heart.
Prayer for Choosing the Right Clothes, Colossians 3:12
Lord, You want me to choose the right clothes. Not to dress to impress with my outward appearance but to reflect the character of Christ. As I do the laundry, remind me to choose the clothes that are important to You: compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. As I interact with others, may these garments change me so people see Christ. Amen.
This is Day Eight of #write31days2017. For an index of all the posts in the series, click here.