Explore. Discover. To persevere with hope, peace, and joy instead of drudgery, despair, anxiety, I want to explore ways to see God in the everyday moments. Looking for God, focusing on the goal, I want to run the race set before me so I bring glory to God.
Explore the E of Persevere
- Enjoy each day. Look for the good and the beautiful. Enjoy the small moments, the mundane, the interludes. These make up the majority of life; don’t let them pass by unnoticed and uncelebrated. Be present, fully there, in conversations, routine tasks, the minutiae that becomes a blur if I let it.
- Expect change. Don’t lament the new and different. Stop looking back at at what-if and if-only. Expect God to work good things.
- Endure the hardships and the struggles. Look past the muck and mud, the pebbles and the boulders that threaten to trip me up and stop my progress toward the goal. Run for the prize. Walk. Crawl if I need to. But keep going. Never forget God sets the course, and He is my biggest cheerleader.
- End worrying, being afraid. End complaining and whining. End trying to do more, be more, have more.
- Exclaim how God works in my life. His goodness, faithfulness, mercy, grace, and love. Be a light shining on a lamp stand. The salt that flavors the world I live in.
- Engage in spiritual disciplines. Pray. Read God’s Word. Meditate on it. Be part of the community of believers.
- Empathize with others. Listen and care. Offer help when I can. Pray for family and friends. But pray also for my community, the world around me. This year my church has a 40 day prayer plan for Lent that will help me do this more effectively.
- Employ songs of joy. My favorite Christmas carol is Joy to the World, and it tells us to employ songs, repeating the sounding joy, “Our Savior reigns!”
Will you join me this February? Explore the E’s of Persevering. Run your race with endurance. Run it with joy. Glorify God as you run for the prize.