Van loves sailing. He started sailing at 14 and fell in love. When we got married in 1977, sailing became part of my life too. For a few years, we owned a small sailboat of our own. We also spent several years caring for and therefore had the privilege of sailing, a friend’s boat.
My favorite part of a sailboat is when it’s docked. Safe and sound. Minimal movement. I love sitting in the sunshine reading and watching the sea life, from sea lions to pelicans and herons, to schools of small fish. It’s a comfortable, peaceful way to spend the day.
Van prefers the time spent actually sailing. Open ocean, wind in his face, boat cutting through the water. He doesn’t even need a destination, just as long as he’s out on the water. Usually, the water is fairly calm when we sail, but occasionally, a storm brews and it feels like we’re in a battle with the sea.
The boat rides up a wave and crashes down with a thump, jarring teeth. Cold wind cuts through clothing, causing shivering. Every muscle strains to pull at lines. Hands and feet grip whatever they can to maintain balance so you don’t get thrown overboard. All hands on deck, work together and stand firm.
Life seems a lot like a day on a sailboat. Some days are calm and peaceful, while others filled with teeth-jarring, muscle straining, all hands on deck storms.
Paul warns us we fight a spiritual battle against the devil’s schemes. Standing in my closet each morning, I may don strength and dignity and a gentle and quiet spirit, but how do I protect them in the middle of Satan, prowling like a roaring lion, wanting to devour me?
Prayer to Win the Battle Wearing God’s Armor
Before I step out of my closet, I put on my armor by praying Ephesians 6:12-18:
Lord, protect me from Satan and his evil schemes. I stand firm in You and Your power. Today I
– Buckle the belt of truth around my waist. Your Truth which keeps my mind and heart focused on You and contradicts any lie Satan whispers in my ear.
– Put on the breastplate of righteousness. Instead of listening to Satan, I choose to obey You. Moment by moment, no matter what happens today, I remember Your commands and follow the light of Jesus.
– Fit my feet with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. I will be ready for whatever comes my way and stand firm in Your peace that passes all understanding. Nothing Satan throws at me can overcome the peace and hope I have in You.
– Carry the shield of faith. Every flaming arrow Satan sends my way fizzles and extinguished because I know without a doubt Your power.
– Put on the helmet of salvation. I am safe in You. My future secure. Whether this battle is short or long, I rest in the promise of victory.
– Take up the sword of the Spirit, Your Word. In the midst of battle, protect my mind with Scripture.
In Jesus’ Name. Amen.
This is day twenty-two of the #write31days2017 challenge. To read the previous posts in this series, click here.